Try our 5 A Day fajita recipe and download a 5 A Day recipe leaflet, plus more healthy recipes for you and your family.
Fruit and vegetables that are cooked into any kind of dish count towards your 5 A Day. This means that some of your favourite meals can help you get your five portions.
To get started, why not try our healthy fajita recipe?
Fajita fiesta with 5 A Day
This meal is ideal for entertaining friends and doesn't need much preparation. Serve with a salad, and a tomato salsa if you want some added flavour.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
5 A Day portions per serving: 2
For the fajitas:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 4 skinless chicken breasts (diced)
- 1 red, 1 green and 1 yellow pepper (chopped)
- handful of mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 packet of fajita spice mix
- 8 soft flour tortillas
- tomato salsa (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Add the onion and chicken. Fry for around three minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the peppers and mushrooms and stir. Cook until the vegetables have softened.
- Stir in the fajita spice mix. Continue to fry on a low heat.
- Meanwhile, prepare a mixed salad of tomatoes, cucumber and lettuce leaves.
- Warm the tortillas in a preheated oven for 3 minutes or in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Serve the fajitas with the salad, and a tomato salsa if you like.
(V): For a vegetarian version, simply replace the chicken with a tin of kidney beans, drained (choose those canned in water with no added salt or sugar).
Some carrot sticks with lower-fat houmous or guacamole make a great starter.
Use any leftover fajita filling in a sandwich or baked potato.
More 5 A Day recipes
For lots of healthy 5 A Day recipes, download our Fuel for Life leaflet (PDF, 607kb).
There are also loads of healthy recipes that kids will love at the Change4Life website and the Healthy Start website.
Got a question about 5 A Day?
If you have a question that isn't answered in our 5 A Day FAQs, please email the 5 A Day team at Public Health England: email@example.com.